Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Roberts Rules are ridiculous...

So, I have been sitting in the plenary room for 50 minutes now. We are still on the very first item that we started those 50 minutes ago. Roberts Rules allows for three speeches for and three speeches against each motion (except motions to table). Right now the speeches are capped at 3 minutes, but I pray that someone moves to reduce them to 2 minutes for the evening some time soon.

Also, someone earlier brought up a good point. Why have we, as a church, lost a sense of our mission to go out and make disciples of Jesus and are in place just concentrating on the bottom line? I have lost track of the countless number of minutes we have spent debating money. This meeting costs $6.4 million dollars, and yet we still spend our time talking about money.

One thing I gladly will say is that I have been pleasantly surprised of the number of parents reconciling ministry stoles being worn. I was nervous of coming to GC because I thought that there would be many people against total inclusiveness. I have noticed that there is not a great number of people who are against it. Actually, in committee a petition was passed that will greatly affect the inclusiveness of the church. I will let you know how it goes in plenary... if we ever get there :-/

No comments: