Search This Blog

Thursday, May 1, 2008

I'm sorry...

For all the lesbian, gay, transgender, and bisexual people out there, I'm sorry. I'm sorry the United Methodist Church has let you down once again. I'm sorry that we cannot be open and welcoming to everyone. I'm sorry...

The only thing I can say is that I have hope. After the minority report passed, I felt betrayed. I could not understand... but I want to say again something that Heather told me. How can I make a difference, how can I CHANGE THE CHURCH if I leave? If I leave because the Church has betrayed me, then who will be a voice for those who do not want to leave, but want to be fully accepted as well.

Plus, I can't leave. I love this Church. I have grown up in this Church, and many people I know are a part of this Church. Instead of giving up on the Church, I choose to stay and wait for change.

I am sorry that you have to wait four years. I am sorry that we have made you wait, but please, please stay with me. There are people, atleast 40% of Church people, who accept you for who you are. There are pastors, churches, district superintendants, and even bishops, who support and accept you.

So I ask you, please stay standing with me. For we will stand together, and in four years, we will try again for change, for a future with hope...

No comments: